Tuesday, December 22, 2009

O Dawn

" O Sun of Justice, now draw near, disperse the gloomy clouds of night."
Well, wouldn't you know it. It's the Winter Solstice, and she called the vet. The next thing I know I am in my cage in the car heading to see Dr. Smalley. He and his staff subjected me to x rays and to undignified poking. I spent most of the day howling. Finally she came and got me, and I hid with my back to her at the back of the cage. But, after being home a while, we started presents, and so Alice and I helped. She tested the bags, and I made holes in all the wrapping paper. Soon, the vet was forgotten, and we celebrated the solstice. The keeper told us that in her younger years, she would stay up all night until the dawn, and invite her friends to do the same. Sometimes they stayed home, other times went to cabins and retreat houses. One year she threw a party where everyone had to come dressed in summer clothes since summer was coming soon. we did stay up pretty late last night though. The keeper had a lot of present wrapping to do. We are thrilled to be one day closer to summer and to lengthening days again. Oh, how we need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment