Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

The keeper brought home a cone-thing today. It looked like the tower of punishment for cats who stray from the yard. I was concerned. It looks like a laundry basket topped with a two layer cone. The keeper said she had gotten it from the city and it is called a food composter. You wrap the laundry basket in wire mesh to make it rodent proof, and you sink the laundry basket into the dirt in a sunny place. Then you take the food scraps which are not meat or dairy or fish or foul out of the white little holding basket, and put them in the cone. After 6 months you get great compost for the garden. Worms are supposed to really like it. We shall see. I am not sure what's in it for me, except that I am relieved it is not a tower of feline terror. However, I might have more birds at my disposal as they look for the worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment