Friday, January 18, 2013

Whisker City Rocks!!!


Hello, Friends,

We want to share a story which we just received from Whisker City, the cat shelter which saved both of our lives.  They are incredible. And we hope Jack can pull through! Warning: the video is sad.

Alice and Cecil



Saving Jack.

Last night I met Jack - an adult Tabby in very bad shape. Jack is a "neighborhood cat" that nobody is particularly responsible for. One of those neighbors called me and asked me to take him. She didn't want him and she said nobody in the neighborhood wanted him. She was worried about the freezing temperatures but added she would not be making a donation or paying any vet bills.  Even though the shelter is still not completely renovated, I asked her to bring "Jack" to Whisker City before nightfall. I had this feeling I might be his last chance.

This little guy was starving to death. He is bone skinny. His ears are packed with wax, mites and crud. He could barely walk. Moreover, his claws had grown into the pads on his paws. His breathing is labored and difficult. It is obvious to me that his eye swelled from an infection and exploded. The socket is weeping with red watery fluid. He is miserable. Weak. Sad. Tired.

Our volunteer Vet Tech, Brenda Anderson took him to the vet last night for blood tests.  She brought him home and he spent Thursday night on the heated floor of my bathroom. I'm glad he is safe now but he is so very sick. This morning he ate his breakfast and then fell to floor gasping for air. Something is very wrong. Yet he is so sweet and needy. He purrs. He just sinks into my hands when I hold him. I can sense he is relieved. We took him back in today for X-rays. By tomorrow we will have a full assessment of Jack's physical issues. I hope now he can recover and we can find him a great home filled with love and kindness. And if he can't recover, I will hold him, cuddle him and love him while his life is ending. This is our mission. We serve cats like Jack.

I'm so thankful to all of you for supporting Whisker City. Because of your help we are here for the sick, injured and lost. Because of you we just might be able to save Jack's life.  I will keep you updated on his progress for the next few days until he is out of the woods.


No comments:

Post a Comment